The Family Counselling Process
Our family counsellors at SMB Counselling services in Nova Scotia are are committed to the privacy and safety for you and your family!
We have a great business model and a process where you can share your thoughts and feelings in a safe space that you always know is free from judgment. This allows us to provide you with the strategies to address all your mental health concerns, so you can move forward into your best life.
You have the option of booking an appointment and coming into our Bedford Nova Scotia office, but for your convenience we offer online family counselling appointments anywhere in Halifax, Bedford, Dartmouth, Sackville, or anywhere else in the province of Nova Scotia.
Top reasons why families seek therapy:
- Developmental stages and changes
- Divorce and blended families
- Joint parenting
- Parent-teen conflict
- Grief and loss
- Gender identity and expression
- Substance misuse
- Creates safety and stability
- Develop strategies to maintain boundaries
- Fosters communication
- Increases problem-solving skills
- Builds empathy and understanding
- Reduces conflict
Keeping a Check on Your Family Mental Health
As a parent, keeping a check on the mental health of your family is your priority. But sometimes it is necessary to reach out to a professional for extra advice like SMB Counselling Services. We can offer the professional help of our therapists or teen counsellors to help with any issues that may crop up during or before the school year starts.
We often advise parents to set a regular time each week to listen to your child or teenagers concerns. Let them express themselves in whatever way is most comfortable for them. If they are not comfortable talking about what is bothering them, encourage them to write it down in a journal and share their thoughts in a way they feel most comfortable.
Often doing interactive activities with your child together can often stimulate conversation. This may take the pressure off your child and will allow you to deal with any issues by playing or talking in a more natural way.
Another way of finding out what is going on with our children, is by getting them to express themselves artistically. Encourage them to write a poem, play a song, or paint a picture in order to communicate in their own way what may be troubling them.
Signals That Something is Off With Your Child or Teen
One signal that something may be off with your child or teenager is their behavior changes or a significant period of time, noticeable most times after school when they get home. To therapists or child counsellors, this is an indicator that they may be struggling to adjust with school work, a particular subject, or school activity or person.
A drop in school assessments is another indicator that something may be troubling your child. Often a prolonged decrease in their desire to do good work, complete assignments, or partake in certain activities is a general flag that something is wrong.
With the help of our trained professionals at SMB Counselling in Bedford NS, our child therapists and teen counsellors offer a safe space for children and parents to explore their thoughts and issues. The well being of the whole family is our main concern.
Whether it’s you or your children that are facing daily struggles, we are here to lend and ear and help find a path back to where life was normal for you and your family. Life is hard with many obstacles, but with our help, it doesn’t have to be.
Teens and children in general need help dealing with a variety of issues:
- Parent-Child Attachment
- Emotional Regulation
- School Issues
- Relationships – Family, Work, School, Friendships and Romantic
- Anxiety, Stress & Depression
- Grief & Loss
- Emotional Regulation
- Self-Esteem & Body Image
- Gender Identity & Expression, Sexuality
Tips For Parents Who Worry About Their School Age Children
- Validate your children’s feelings – validate how they are feeling and tell them it’s ok to feel that way
- Talk about what to expect in school – discuss routine changes, kids like predictability
- Reassurance – can make a child feel better, continue to answer questions and concerns
- Book and movies – there are many books & movies that discuss things like how it’s ok to have fear
- Rewarding – rewards can be anything from an enjoyable experience to a small material reward
- Disruptive Behavior – usually happens when they wants to avoid an uncomfortable situation
Reach Out For Help
There are many benefits of working with a family counsellor in Nova Scotia.
Let us know at SMB Family Counselling how we can help!
Book an Appointment Today!